Tuesday, June 08, 2010

New York Hearts ME!

{You know the thing where you go on vacation with one other person and you can't get pictures together...that explains my vacation pictures with Fer!}
Ok, so Michael {Brent's BFF}, Brent and our kiddos gave Jennifer {"Fer"} and me a vacation to New York City for Mother's Day! I was worried I was not going to be able to go because Tuesday night I got SUPER sick with a UTI! But a trip to the Dr. and some antibiotic, I was better in 24 hours! We left for NYC on Thursday for a little girl time! I had already consulted with my NYC pros, Jana and Libby, on all of the best food and shopping! I had all the reservations ready to rock and roll! This girl doesn't mess around with food! Fine dining in the city is what I want! Bless Fer's heart! I had the trip all planned out for lots of shopping and eating and shows in between! Her almost 5-month preggo self did not complain ONE TIME! She was a great travel bud! The story goes like this...our first flight was cancelled. Only to leave us catching an earlier flight that left within minutes. We were actually happy b/c the first flight required a very late dinner which these need-to-eat-nowers were not too thrilled about. Then, it got worse. The weather was so bad in NY that the airport closed. So we landed. In D.C. And were on the ground in the plane for 4 HOURS!!!! Agh! We made besties with the flight staff...which scored us free warm cookies, drinks and lots and lots of unsolicited advice on various topics. Worth it for the free stuff! The flight staff was seriously entertaining. It felt like we were on a booze cruise with all of their entertainment. They even took up a collection for a soldier who was going home to visit his sick dad! It was touching and hilarious all at once. I also used my social work skills on a cute little bro/sis duo who were scorned by their parents recent divorce. Also chatted with a Container Store, marathon running executive who sat next to us. He also loved American Idol and Lost so we re-hashed all of the episodes. Did I mention all of this took place until we safely landed in NYC. At 2:45 a.m.!!!! Praise Jesus our bags were there {not sure how}! Then, we caught a cab and headed for our hotel in Times Square! Delirious, starving and oddly not grumpy or complainy at all, we decided we must eat. Good thing the city and McDonald's never sleep. This was our meal at 3:30 a.m. Lights out at 4 a.m. Holy. Cow. The next day we tried our darndest to sleep in. But so goes a mother's body along with severe jet-lag, I think we were up at 9. Probably for the best. We had some shoppin' to do. In SoHo!
And a brunch at the Balthazar! I highly recommend this place if you are visiting the city! It is a really fun, French atmosphere with yummy food!

Fer was feeding the baby some bread!

I had the roasted eggplant sandwich. To die for!
But this was the thing that made my whole trip. It was so fantastic. Oh my. My mouth still longs for it! Pavlova with berries and creme on the inside. Heaven.
This was just a picture of the fresh flowers in the ladies room! They were breathtaking!
Now, I must point out how much I love Broadway. I literally cry every single time a show starts. I cry at each dance production. Broadway performances just move me. They channel my inner dancer/singer, I suppose. 'Promises, Promises' was the first show we saw {I am realizing now I posted this out of order!} and it was cute! The guy from Will and Grace, Sean Hayes, was the male lead and little itty bitty {literally she is 4''11'!!} Kristin Chenoweth was the leading lady! They were amazing! This was a production brought back after many many years!
This was the actual meal we had before the show. Dos Caminos is a trendy Mexican spot. We went to the one in SoHo {can you tell I love that area}? Fer ordered the chocolate enchilada. Not really, but doesn't it look chocolate?
I had a pork taco plate and it was divine. A little too many chips and I could not finish!
The next day we went to Henri Bendel and Central Park and then went to West Side story. Oh my how I love men dancing! Honestly, it is so amazing to me to see them dance like that! I think I may have loved it most just because I love the story and all of the dance scenes! And of course, I cried!

After the show, I had to stop by my favorite retail place on earth. H&M. Where you can buy a so much for so little! I sent this pic to my friend, Kelly, who is my H&M homey!Our dinner was at Orso. So lovely and quiet. A little too quiet! Fer and I were in the lover's corner, I think! We felt odd, but the food was once again Yummy! But the trip could not have been complete without a visit to the world famous Magnolia Bakery! Yummm!!
We picked out a cupcake and walked over a couple of blocks to Rockerfeller Center to eat and people watch!

I was hoping to get a glimpse of Liz Lemon, but she never showed. Oh well, what a fun night!


Can't wait to go back again!!! I had such a great time with Fer, she is a great travel pawdna!!

3 comments:

Sally said...

you and your eggplant!! HA HA!

your trip looked amazing and fun!! you busy moms deserved it!!!

and looks like you ate good too - yum yum!
hugs!!

Jennifer said...

Loved going to the Big Apple with you, friend! Such a fun trip, and lots of hilarious memories! Love you! *Fer*

Katy said...

Aw! What a fun trip!!!!!! I have not been to NYC in soooooo long, but this makes me want to go back! with girlfriends of course!
You did a great job documenting...must get that app btw!

on a different note---you've got some great tunes on your playlist, sister.