Monday, April 12, 2010

Sweet 16 and Elite 8--HOW GREAT!!!!

It has finally happened. It is now hip and cool to be a Baylor sports fan! I loved getting to go watch my boys play in Houston. Holy cow. What a fun, exhausting, motivating and emotionally draining weekend! We headed up with the usual suspects {Hillman, Polnicks and other Wilsons} minus our Mug but towing along REW. We stayed in Pearland, super close to our fave Houston friends, the Allens ,so we could spend some time with them! It was crazy from the start! Kimberly's sis, Kristi, watched ALL of the kids we brought so we could go enjoy ourselves at our favorite past time. Crown in Heaven is all I'm saying! Thanks to you, friend! REW and I went to an egg drop that the Allen's church put on. I am posting this picture because my mom has a picture strikingly similar of she and I! Weird!
Anywho, onto the Sweet 16! We arrived with weird emotions of nerves and excitement! Reliant was a huge venue and Baylor fans dominated and it still seemed to dwarf us.
St. Mary's had been having a huge run and were pumped and fueled by the media's take on them being unworthy to be in the tourney. Baylor felt the same. Years of struggle finally coming to fruition. Yikes! Dick Vitale picked St. Mary's to take us down...
Here is the gang
And my basketball sidekick. It's REDONKULOUS how into Baylor basketball we are. You would think Mug or CDP played on the team the way we act. I have millions of text messages between us on record of our nerves from game to game. And now we were at the ultimate showdown!
The short version is that we took St. Mary's down. Like they were a YMCA league team of high schoolers. It was bizarre to win a game with that kind of ease. HA! I have to say, it was a little sad. For St. Mary's, that is! And Brent and I were on the third row like the gangstas we are.
The next game would prove to be a wee bit more challenging. We were to play the mecca of all college basketball programs...The Duke Bluedevils in the Elite 8. Holy shikey. I can't even believe I just wrote that! We found some other die-hards pre-game {p.s. all pics were stolen from Cari and Kimbo as I did not have my camera}. All of us were a nervous wreck.

The game was a nail biter. Lots of good things happened. We missed a ton of free throws and they didn't. We had a shady call against us that really changed the game. But that's all said and done. We played hard and we did so well, we just fell short on the bad end. Here was the half-time score:
Mainly, it was so exhilarating to see all of the BU fans rallying together in support of a great team! Anyone who is disappointed in the results...shame on you! We have come a LOOOOOOONG way. Best. year. ever. Speaks volumes if you ask me. I am so thrilled that I got to be a part of this great year in Baylor basketball!!!!

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

Great post! And so jealous that you guys got to go. But I know you were cheering loudly for all of us!! :)

Sally said...

what an exciting season and so awesome that ya'll go to go to cheer them on in Houston! It looked like so many fun peeps were there too - i love it! and LOVE those Baylor t-shirts!!! Sassy!!!!!

Justin D. Tapp said...

The Baylor-Duke game was the only game I really felt emotional about, mostly for you guys. I really didn't want it to turn into a last-second deal like UK in '92, because you never get over that and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Getting beat by Duke is never pretty, that's not how they roll. But I was amazed at Baylor's athleticism (minus Lomers, who was just as I remembered him from 3 years ago). I was glad for the Baylor fans.