Sunday, October 25, 2009

Baylor Family Tradition 2009

Another year flies by. Baylor Homecoming has come and gone again! Oh my! I can't explain why we love Baylor so much. I am certain most of you feel the same way about whatever University or College you attended. I think one thing that makes it so special to us is that we live in the same city where Baylor is. It makes us feel super connected. Also, so many people who were there with us now live here as well. We are at all of the games and events. It's a close little {big} family of friends. But something about homecoming is just extra nostalgic. The parade and the bonfire! The old friends! Thinking about being in StuFu and Chi-O and KOT. All the innocence of being a college kid. Funny how I still feel that way some days. It just takes you back to a good place. Friday night we decided to go out to the KOT float and get a sneak peek! Brent spent many many hours working on float when he was at Baylor, it is always fun to tell Mug all about it. REW had on a bear suit that Mug wore his first homecoming. We added a bow, of course. However, she was not thrilled about wearing it in the not-so-cold conditions so we eventually changed!
At the sight we found some friends. Sad thing is that we are all old now and try to get an early start around 7:30 p.m. The college kids don't come out until waaaaaay past that time! So, we got to hang out with the Crosby's and McKenzie's for a little while. Mug chased Jackson to no avail!
KOT float {which was as usual so good}
The Past and Future of KOT {LOVE this picture}!
Saturday morning was an early start so we did not miss the parade! We met up for a CFA breakfast, but it would not be a Wilson/Hillman adventure without a side-adventure as well! Michael's tire was flat, so Brent, Mug and Michael went to get it fixed. Fer and I fed the tiny tots in the meantime. You know REW was not going to miss breakfast...

Michael had to wait on the car, so we packed SJH and Fer in Brent's truck, still marching on to the parade!



Fer and I shared the front seat!
We were a bit behind, sweating already, parked far away and all of the sudden, I realized there was an odor in the air...REW had to be changed! Timing is always so perfect isn't it? Side rant: REW had a green and gold bow in her hair, but she pulled it out and it was lost before we got to the parade. I was a bit distraught over this and it took me a moment to get over it. I know that is redonkulous, but no self-respecting Baylor grad would not turn her baby-doll daughter into a bow-head on homecoming! Especially since she is a bow-head all the other days of her life! Grrrrrr!
We get to campus just in time! I am running with Mug in my arms, and trying to get to our annual "spot" so to see all the out-of-towners that we love! {Side note: best workout ever is carrying two kids across a campus to and fro. When I got out of bed this morning, I winced in pain because my biceps are hurting so badly!}
This is the only picture I got with a friend since I was chasing my super busy REW who was trying to eat dirt and leaves the entire time. This was a friend of mine, Jenn. She was younger than me, but we always shared a very special connection! She is a sweetheart! Miss her!
After we re-connected after a couple of hours, there was a family picture {or a few} attempted. No Christmas card photos, although, I do think it would be hilarious to use the worst picture you have because it depicts reality a little better...we managed to get a couple where we were all looking in the same direction.
Or most of us were looking in the same direction. 3 out of 4 ain't bad!
Running back to our cars so not to miss the game {sad, sad, sad BU football}, we shuffled carseats again so Mug, Michael and Brent could catch the game. Fer and I took the tinies home again for naps. Glad we did not go. May I add that I am itching for hoops to start??? Here are our very tired little ones sitting next to one another. Just trying to endure a few more minutes of the car ride before they can catch their ZZZ's!
After the game a naps, we headed to the Annual Horner Homecoming party! A crowd favorite we have been attending since 2005! Man, I think we have tripled in numbers with all the tots running around! What used to be a time of catching up, has turned into a game of chase the kids! You can't be a little girl and go over to miss Karoline Horner's without looking like a complete girl!
Or chase Brent! Wish you could have seen this in person! Brent was being chased and tackled by a gang of sugared up 3 year olds! Who had the most fun here???
There were a few minor injuries, but no one was seriously hurt....
And Brent slept soundly last night...




Look at my kids clothes. How young is too young to brainwash? Hmmmmm....
Griffin took a little break from all the excitement! Stimulation OVERLOAD!
REW kept several of my friends super duper busy! Thanks to Benjie and Sal for holding and feeding her!

And the night begun to wind down...it was going to be an early early to bed kinda night. This one was out at 6:45 p.m....
Followed shortly thereafter by 8...
And mom and dad not far behind. A whirlwind for sure. Wish I could have seen more of you. I wish Homecoming was longer. It's amazing how time flies, ya'll! I wonder what's to come next year! Until then....

it was a HAPPY HOMECOMING 2009!

7 comments:

Sally said...

whew!!! what a whirlwind of fun HC events huh?? you got some great pics of all the kiddos playing, thanks for capturing it all!!! what a fun weekend, we too pooped out real early. :)

Jennifer said...

Such a crazy fun day! Wonder what it will be like next year when REW and SJ are running around too!

Shannon said...

This was our first year to miss in I cannot tell you how long! (since I was a youngan!) The pictures were great and I LOVED her green/gold tutu!!!!

Kierstyn said...

Oh, I laughed when I read the part about REW ditching the bow. I would be ticked. Kudos for getting over it. :-) I might now have been able to!

Shannon said...

Have to confess....I made Payton a tutu just like that today to wear with her bear costume on Halloween! I had already put a big bow in the ear and was trying to decide how to make a tutu for it. Come on...it has to be a girly Baylor bear! I looked closely at REW's and wa-la! Payton now has one very similar! THANKS SO MUCH for the idea!

Lauren Madison said...

tooooo darn cute!! I can't wait to have kids and dress them up in Baylor gear! Okay, I can actually wait ;) but it's going to be so fun!!

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks