Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mug Night

Each month, Brent and I set aside time as "date night" with each of the kids. It's always on the calendar for a Thursday night...and no skipping unless there is an illness! I always get Mug and Brent always get REW. We do that to encourage the importance of a mother/son, father/daughter relationship. We have been doing it for about 5 months and it is always a sweet and special time. I am always reminded of so many things when we have date night. One thing is that caring for and catering to one child now seems like such a breeze to me. I laugh at the days I would complain about how difficult having A (singular) child was! ha! Props to all my sistas out there with 1,2,3,4...children! You are rockstars! The other thing I am reminded of on date night is how precious my little man is. He is such a funny person. He is a person and not a baby anymore! He is so passionate. He exhibits highs and lows to the extreme. He is smart and so so so lovable. I can't tell you how many times he looks at me and says, "I love you, mommy." When I am alone with him, I always feel like I should do it more. Dividing your time between two children sometimes makes me wonder if they feel like they miss out on all of me. I know in my head it's not true, but a little part of me wonders. Anyway, it is always always always a treat for me and Brent and especially the kids!
Here is a picture of REW and daddy before they ventured out on their date. Sadly no pics (Dad, I want to steal your camera back, please!) but I know what they did! They went on a long walk to see the horses that live around the bend! They took a swing in the hammock and then daddy set up a picnic blanket for REW to sit on while he shot baskets! He said that was her favorite part! They always have such a good time.
Mug and Mommy...
I always let Mug choose what we do. He almost always picks Barnes and Noble. He said he wanted to go there today and I asked him if he was sure he wanted to go there because as of late, he really no longer enjoys reading his books at home (sigh). The foodie that he is, he chose CFA and icecream this time instead. I must say, I am a sucker for CFA. I love it. I hate fastfood with a passion, but for some reason...CFA wins me over. I love the service, I love the food, I love it. Anyway, we ate and played on the playground. Mug fell off of his "big boy" chair flat onto his face. He can't seem to sit still in regular chairs!
I took a picture of this car because Mug has a thing for all Jeeps. He can spot them anywhere. When we got out of the car he saw this one and with much awe in his voice said, "Ooooh! There is a REALLY fancy jeep. It's a very very nice one."


Mug loves the cow at CFA. He goes up to it and converses with it. Every time. He loves Tuesdays because the mascot comes in. All the other kids cry. He follows it around and talks. Weird.

After dinner, we head to get icecream and blast out Psalty. Here he is singing, "...and he put a song in my heart...YEAH!" We also passed B&N on the way. He said, "Why didn't we go to there?" My heart sank. I should have taken the poor kid! Maybe that's the only time he will read!
Last stop...Baskin Robbins. He got a cup of water and a chocolate cone. The tiny cup of water far surpassed his expectations apparently. He kept wanting to refill it when all the while, his icecream melted. Oh well. Better not to send him home with a sugar high.
Really, how much actually ended up in him rather than on him?!?

And of course, we ended the night with an evening mow.
Heaven. Heaven. Heaven.
Mug, I love you. I love date nights and look forward to next month!!

9 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love that y'all do date nights. That is so sweet and such a special time!

The Johnstons said...

LOVE the date nights!! Once we have one of each, we're going to have to do that! So funny that Tristan follows the cow around...and that the water was better than the ice cream.

walkers said...

what a sweet thing to do. Keller LOVES CFA also and when the cow is there, he is totally starstruck. he has to hug him about 20 times before we leave-adorable!

Robyn said...

what a GREAT idea. love it! might steal it. =)

Mollie said...

You've inspired me! I'm going to keep this in mind for down the road a bit!!!

Kimberly said...

I am inspired by that time you spend with your kids! Will you remind me of this when I get a handle on my life after newborn stage comes & goes???

Mug is a mess!Reese, well, she's just a Reesey!

Sally said...

sooo sweet!! i love it! what special time!

MDM said...

You are precious!! Those children of yours are so blessed. As we speak, my husband is out with our 12 year old getting some lunch (wherever she chooses) and dropping into a few of her favorite stores to get some new school duds. They have been "dating" since she was REW's age :) Such a bond there! Keep on keepin' on, cute girl!!

Anonymous said...

Have you replaced your car seats after the wreck?