Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Business Or Pleasure?

Or both? This weekend + Monday and Tuesday, Brent, REW and I went down to San Antonio. Brent was going for business and rather than be home with the kiddos alone, I opted to go with. My parents offered to keep Mug and REW which was great. I told them that I was not ready for them to take her that many days just yet. Mostly for them. She wakes at night, she needs to be held at all times. I would have to pump, etc. I fugured it would be easier to just take her. Next time...I will leave her too. We stayed at the Hotel Contessa on the riverwalk and it was very nice. I actually have always really loved San Antonio. It is my 3rd favorite city! Our trip started out with dinner with a friend and SA business partner, Jon. We all did dinner on the riverwalk. Early to bed. We were so tired and REW was exhausted. View from the window
The night got weird when 2 different times between 1-2 a.m., people called and hung up in our room and then people opened our door to our suite! I woke up the first time thinking it was next door. A few monutes later REW was in her crib talking and giggling. I was freaked! Brent went in and gave her the paci and told me the towel we had blocking the light under the door had been moved! FREAK! We tried to make sense of it all and were talking in bed (at 2am) when all of the sudden, they opened the door again! Brent raced out into the living room and busted down the door! It turned out it was hotel staff! Loooooong story, but sometimes when you make reservations via the internet, they do not show up at the hotel at the time of check-in and your room can be viewed as vacant. I didn't care. I called down and told them how terrifying that was and how our baby was now awake! They politely apologized profusely and gave us 2 nights for free. Needless to say, we all slept until 9 the next morning! REW felt a bit warm, but acted fine. We went to breakfast and walked around. She got hotter and hotter. By the time she woke from her afternoon nap, her head was on fire! Good thing mama brought the Motrin and Tylenol!
That night, some of our dear friends had us over for dinner. We have been friends with the Kadanes since we were at Baylor. It was the first time for us to meet their little nugget. I was sooooo thrilled to get to see their family. Here is sweet P showing us his "treasure jar" goodies. It so made me wish we would have brought Mug to meet his future KOT bro! He was just the cutest thing!! Their house is so beautiful! Every room in the house is out of a magazine. Made me get the itch even more to re-decorate my house! I just wish I had the creative mind to come up with all the stuff that Kate does. She is so talented!!!
I can't even tell you how nice it was to see them. I am always so sad that I am not a better friend to all of my college buddies. I always love it when the effort is put forth to see them. I should make the effort to see a lot of you guys who read this! Shame on me! Anyway, such yummy food and lovely conversation. Lots of memories. Lots to celebrate with them. Thanks, guys!

The following morning, REW was still very very hot, so I took her to a clinic after Brent went to work. I was worried it was strep again or an ear infection. After a long wait and $95 later...plain old virus. I took her back to the hotel and put her down for her nap and when she woke up, I found this....
She was sitting up all by herself! She has been able to sit for a long time, but not get in that position on her own! Yay REW! Her fever was gone too. Who knows!??!
Last night, the Kadanes very sweetly offered to watch REW while we went out on a date. How thoughtful! And much needed! We went to Grimaldi's and had dessert at the Orange Cup .
I loooooved that place! We headed back to pick up the REW and call it a night. Thanks again to Isaac and Kate for letting us escape for a few hours!
Now I am home unpacking, doing all the laundry and thinking about the thousands of things I need to do--like blog, of course! I told my parent they could have REW and Mug for a long weekend when REW turns 10 months old. I really would like to get away with the hubs somewhere by ourselves! Let me know any suggestions you may have!!

5 comments:

The Holmans said...

So fun!!! I am so jealous you got to see the Kadanes! Love them!!

Anonymous said...

It was so fun to see you guys!! We will have to get together again soon!

Jaime said...

I love San Antonio...how fun and I really LOVE your new background. So cute!

Corrie said...

There's nothing wrong with mixing business and pleasure! Heck, when I go away on business that is pretty much my only chance to do anything fun for myself nowadays!
Glad y'all had fun and SO GLAD Reese is doing better! She's a doll!

Sally said...

ahhh, that trip sounded fabulous! so sorry that REW was not herself tho... :(
we sooo need to getaway to San Antonio...josh and i really haven't ever gone, except for KOT formal one year...ha ha. :)
glad ya'll had a nice little getaway!!