Monday, December 22, 2008

She's a Month Old, Ya'll!

Well, hello! I am Reese Elaine and I am one month old!
Sweet Reese! A sweet little angel baby! I can't believe she has been with us for a month now! I must say, she is a far cry from the baby her brother was. Not to compare, but I will break it down for you. Tristan=hard. Reese=easy. She is quiet. She is polite. She sleeps a lot. She nurses super fast (10 minutes max). She is a chunk. She likes a bottle. And to my excitement--takes and loves her PACIFIER! I love the way Reese looks! She has a Mohawk! A full-on mohawk! She is so chunky and short! I think she has gained 2 pounds and not grown a centimeter! We call her our troll baby. She grunts and gurgles and makes these troll-ish faces! Along with the mohawk--it is hilarious! She is so content to do whatever. Although I would love for her night stretches to be a bit longer than they are, it is not too bad. I just lay her down and she eventually grunts herself back to sleep! She has a lot of gas and lots-o-poo. Lots. And lots. She smiled her first real smile on Saturday! I have not seen it again since, but I think many more are on the horizon! She also loves her bath! She has not cried in it yet! Just sits there and looks around! Love that!!
I have so enjoyed dressing her up. She is such a doll baby. I try to keep a bow in her hair most of the time when we are out. I love them. Having her is such a joy! I wish I had more time to cuddle up to her and just gaze at her. I try to steal away at least a couple of times a day when it is just she and I and I talk to her and tickle her and just be with her.
Second babies are special. They sort of get the shaft in many ways! I have found it a bit sad that there are not as many visitors for her. Not as many check-ins. Even the grand parents don't spend much time with her for fear of hurting the older one's feelings. I understand all of this, it is just strange. I sometimes feel like I am the only one who truly knows her. Her cries. How she likes to be held. Just things like that. I know it will all change in a short while. I am simply observing this fact. Anyway, she is so so so sweet. I am so blessed with this little lady!

19 comments:

Christian Family said...

Well, here I am doing my daily(well, sometimes...) blog check list...and read your blog entry!
I LOVE that you are so honest!
Reese is a DOLL...and dressed SO CUTE!!!
Everything you wrote ...is exactly what I have "thought or worried" about...for when our little Sadie will arrive in February! It is so good to know that I am not "crazy" for worrying about the fact that the 2nd will just be handled "differently"(not bad...just different). I am trying to grasp this before she arrives...so I am prepared...but it does sort of make me sad. I so worry about Bailey(which I know all moms do with their first when they are due with another baby)...but I also want to make sure Sadie feels the LOVE and ATTENTION that Bailey always has!
OH, I am rambling.
Thank you for your post...and the fact that it IS different with the second! I know this and am preparing for this...but to see that someone else has these thoughts gives me encouragement!
Merry Christmas!

Kimberly said...

Aunt Timbo is guilty of not making more time for little Reese! It's not that I don't love her- it's just that we've all been out of town and sick. I promise after the holidays and when CDP gets completely well, you'll get so tired of us!

I love you all!

Callie said...

She is so precious I can't stand it! You know, I feel crazy obsessed over all things baby. I think I've always been that way, but at Care Net I had a never ending supply of babies to love on and fuss over...now, the supply has ended and I've got baby brain! (Not that I want one, I just want to love on everyone elses!)

Abby said...

She is so precious. I love that you do bows...have you been to bloomingbows.com? They are an amazing website, and if you join the "bow club" after 10, you get a free one! And...they are soo sweet! They sometimes send you extra "goodies" in the box. I hope that you guys have a wonderful Christmas as a family of 4. I can't wait to meet Reese!

S, J, B, & S said...

She is adorable!! Happy 1-month birthday, Reese!!!

I echo your sentiments on second babies ... this lil mister has already gotten the shaft and he's not even here yet!! Poor kid ... just means we'll have to give them extra attention!

The Johnstons said...

Oh, you mean there's hope that the second one is easier! :) Really though, I am so happy for you that Reese is such a sweet and easy baby. After the holidays and illnesses have passed, we'll come see her!!

Melissa said...

So sweet! She truly is such a doll baby. I'm so glad she's a good baby for you. I know it makes the transition that much easier, and good for you for enjoying the moments!

Oh, and I felt like I was reading your thoughts about being the only one who truly knows her. This is SOOO how I feel about Carter. He is the third I suppose, but it's comforting to know that others feel this way about their children as well. ;)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...she's a cutie patootie!! Kaleb hates the paci...which makes mommy sad! Glad your little one will take it!

kinsey said...

the 2nd babies do get the shaft, but we also end up being the FAVORITE because we are so laid back ;-) reese, if i were there, i would SPOIL you. scott is good with the "playing" with older ones...i enjoy the holding and cuddling!

kinsey said...

the 2nd babies do get the shaft, but we also end up being the FAVORITE because we are so laid back ;-) reese, if i were there, i would SPOIL you. scott is good with the "playing" with older ones...i enjoy the holding and cuddling!

jana fleming said...

oh nic! i especially love this post - and especially love sweet reese! happy one month birthday little dumpling reese! i totally identify with what you are saying regarding second child. you want everything to be for one child as it is for another. it is not that they are any less anything (of course!) it is just different and you can't really explain it until you experience it. davis was much the same way. and being born right around the holidays makes things different too. :) sometimes that made me sad for davis but then i came to cherish the quiet newborn days that we had all to ourselves! i hope you are able to do that too. each child is perfect and celebrated in their own perfect way! we can't wait to play once the holiday family visitors subside. i want to play dress up with her too! ;) and we bring dinner in just a few weeks. love you all! xxoo, jana
ps...your christmas card was just adorable!

Mollie said...

Too sweet for words!

Rose said...

SHE IS SO CUTE!

angie said...

That hat picture made me laugh out loud! She really is a doll baby! I'm so glad to hear that things are easier the second time around...cool how that works huh?! Here's wishing you rest, and peace this week!

Jill said...

I am going to let scott read this post to let him know that there is hope- he says hollyn will be an only child right now!

Angie said...

Oh My Gosh! Reese looks JUST like you in these pictures. She is so adorable!
I totally understand exactly what you mean about the 2nd baby thing. That's how it is with Brady too, I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who thinks that. The good news is- there are tons and tons of 2nd babies in the world and somehow they make it ok. I completely get you on that though.

Audrey T said...

Cute little girl - all the time in the world wouldn't be enough. You're right - you have to steal away the moments you can.

Travis and Natalie Riley said...

What a beautiful little gal Reese is. She is precious and y'all have a beautiful family of 4. I hope y'all have had a Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicki!
Just wanted to say a HUGE congrats on your BEAUTIFUL Reese!! So so happy for you! Also just had to share that we saw Tristan on tv the other day...we were watching the Baylor game on tv and they totally did a close up of his sweet little face before one of the commercial breaks!! You've probably had tons of people tell you that already, but I had to share it, too.
Take Care, Sarah Miller