Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Entourages

They are not just for celebrities. We all need one. Especially in childbirth. Why, you ask. So, you do not end up looking like this after you have a baby: You probably had to turn your head the other way. Well, turn it back now, please. Oh, how it pains me to let the general public see this. And there are many many more. Worse ones. OMG. Look at me. Look at me!?! Could that really be me? How many chins are allowed on one face? In my defense, I was not a planned anything. No induction, no section. Nada. Water broke as I got into bed and that was that. But c'mon. Throw a lady a bone, or at least a tube of lipgloss! So, as my due date quickly approaches, I begin to think I need to go a'la Mariah Carey and devise myself an entourage just like a good diva would. Some peeps for some good lookin' out. Someone to take the silver clip and side pony tail out of my hair and give me gum. The birth process for some is a very private and personal affair. Not for me. It is a party. The more the merrier. So, to those of you on the list, you are hired! I will pay well, I swear!
I need Brent, first and foremost. What a coach. We played tug-of-war last go. Leave it to us to make sport of labor. He will also tell me how wonderful I am at all times. He will tell me how sweet my breath smells though his face will tell otherwise. I will also need Mimi to be my personal nurse. She went thru the whole thing with me last time and still loves me despite seeing all of my womanly splendor. That for sure earns you a spot in my entourage! Next, I need Kimberly to take pictures quietly throughout the process. To tell me when I need to re-apply makeup and what lighting is working at what angle. Then, she will need to edit them before they go into circulation. Very important job. Lastly, but maybe most importantly, I need Kelly there to do my makeup and hair throughout the process. There was no need for me to show all the popped blood vessels and have red, puffy eyes for lack of sleep. Would Angelina have done that? I think not. So important ladies, so important. Don't underestimate the power of a great makeup lady. I have seen some of your blogs and I think you all have already had yourself an entourage. You know who you are. Good for you. Let's hope my entourage can pull it all off for me this time. Good lookin' out.

15 comments:

Melissa said...

You are so funny! And I'm with you on labor being a party... although what you really need, my friend, is a short labor! And you shouldn't be so hard on yourself! You're beautiful with or without lip gloss. :)

Alison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alison said...

oops--sorry, I had a typo...let's try that again. I love this post; such clever writing. You looked beautiful then-no matter what you say-and you'll look beautiful for little Reese!

S, J, B, & S said...

You are HILARIOUS. And ohhh I looked SOOOO much worse after I delivered B. Holy cow. I would not allow photographs after he was born, which is why I think I have 2 pics of me in the hospital. But I am loving your idea of a birth entourage ... hmmmmmm ..... :)
p.s. Pretty sure I had more chins than you did too.

ThePoeFam said...

Cracking me up! I laughed out loud at your post!!!! ...And, I think you're on to something...don't we all need an entourage at one time in our lives?!

Kimberly Jordan Walker & Sophie said...

Hilarious!!! Sounds like you've got a pretty gifted entourage ready and set to get to work once baby girl makes her debut :).

Page said...

So funny! I have actually thought of stuff like this, and I'm NOT EVEN PREGNANT! I think you look fine in your picture...don't be so hard on yourself. You're beautiful! I have seen some pics of people right after they had their babies as well and am convinced they hired a personal assistant, plastic surgeon and make up artist as well!! Would insurance over that?? It seems like a necessity to me!

Anonymous said...

I totally understand and adobe photoshopped all of my pics once I got home from the hospital. But... alas it was too late before my clueless brother in law sent out a horrific first pic of me and Jacob on facebook- so all 100+ friends could see! Men don't seem to notice the raccoon eyes(something I'm still trying to teach Joey about) and blotchy-ness. Oy, what I would have done for an entourage... next time I guess.

kinsey said...

you are so funny. but i'm with you, i would want mimi right next to me for sure!! you're lucky that you get that!

Dona said...

GASP...You mean you DON'T have an Entourage YET. How could I ever get from my shower to my car with out mine!

If I looked like that after either one of my kids, you would see my pics posted on Yahoo news, People, and YouTube. Hot Mamma Had Baby!

You are precious.

Kimberly said...

you know i'll be there! greatly anticipating meeting sweet reese-

laura said...

Nicki, you are hilarious! I always think of you when I watch SNL, b/c Amy Poehler totally reminds me of you (not b/c she is preggers, but b/c you are both so stinkin' funny!) You are a natural beauty, even without the entourage. Love your creativity!

Jill said...

I hear you- right before I started pushing I asked for lipstick and powder- my family laughed at me and tried to talk me out of it!!!

Sharee Forman said...

Oh my gosh, this cracks me up! I think that is exactly what I need next time. I went to the hospital (same situation as you, water broke mid night...here we go) with fresh makeup and a good ponytail...by the end of it I had no makeup, psycho hair, and a poofy face! I thought, how in the world does anybody look good giving birth? The entourage of course!!! Why didn't I think of it! :) And I agree with summer, you have NO chins in that pic compared to me girl!

kelly 's a riot said...

i just re-read this in prep for my yob (soft j) as it will be coming up any day now. make-up case is locked and loaded. i will be on-call for coffee as well and will do my darndest to stay OUT of the room while you are pushing this time;)

love you nic!