Monday, October 20, 2008

Midway High School Musical

Ok, not so much a musical...but couldn't it be one? I guess that's why they make so many movies about High School. So much to sing about, cry about, laugh about and cringe about. Yes, folks, it was the dreaded 10 year reunion this past weekend. What a show. While I have to say, I was one of those people who actually enjoyed most of my high school experience, I had my doubts about going back. So much happens to people in 10 years. I mean, I could not even write about my transformation from 18 until now. And I am not even talking the obvious like career, marriage and children. I am talking about the spiritual depths, the attitude makeovers, the redeemed parts of me that I am thankful for. Too deep? Well, I say all of this because I think I was hoping for some reformation in the reunion of adolescence. You always hear things like, "The pretty girls will all be fat." No, actually, the pretty girls were still very pretty, if not prettier. And the fat girls, well, they were still...fat. "The dorks will be the best looking and rich," Well, not exactly. Each event I attended bore a striking resemblance to the previous years. The popular kids all convened to one area while the others convened to the another. So strange! I was really hoping for an ebony and ivory moment! For worlds to collide! For an unlikely pair to find romance! But sadly, it was a lot of the same ol'. I know I cannot measure people's changes of heart in a mere weekend visit. I just hope everyone has grown. I suppose we all still always have a little bit of the high school need to fit in. It was what it was. Fun, but thank God for college! On a lighter note, everyone was so sweet about my big belly!




6 comments:

Alison said...

Aw! I'm still grieving missing out on all the fun. You look amazing, Nicki. And I'm especially sad I didn't get to rub that sweet belly.:(

walkers said...

oh my, i feel like you wrote my exact thoughts! you guys did a great job!

lauren said...

Very well said!! Glad to see some more faces that weren't at the picnic! You look beautiful!

Jill said...

you are so funny- i felt the EXACT SAME WAY about everything- also i am gonna steal a pic- but i will give you the credits-

Tiffany said...

Wow...you took the words out of my head! It was great to see you!!

Robyn said...

It was great seeing you and Brent and Tristan! Thanks for all you did to help with the reunion!