Thursday, July 24, 2008

Scootch Over Betty C.

The oddest thing that happens to me when I am pregnant is not swelling feet, broader hips or even the dreaded pregnancy nose. Nope. The strangest thing for me is that I acquire the love to bake. Apron to boot. 4 out of 7 days of Tristan's afternoon naps are spent in the kitchen with me baking goodies. In attempt to be a little more "useful" in my endeavors, I have tried many of the Jessica Seinfeld recipes from "Deceptively Delicious". Yesterday, I made these: Chocolate Chip cookies (with chick peas). Now, don't be fooled, these are no toll house cookies. The jury is actually still out for me on them. They are sort of more cakey in substance and you definitely can tell there are chick peas in them...which by the way are loaded in fiber (they don't really have a taste, but texture). She also uses way less sugar, and you can taste it. Face it...you can taste the "health" in them. Still, I think they are pretty good and if you are wanting to be healthier...definitely a better option! I thought I would give you all the recipe and you could see for yourself. If you do make them, come back and comment on my blog and tell me what ya think!!


Jessica Seinfeld's Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
  • 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
  • 3/4 cup of trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups semi sweet choco chips
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Preheat oven to 350. Coat baking sheet with spray of needed

2. In mixing bowl beat the sugar and butter with a wooden spoon, or on medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg whites and vanilla, then chickpeas and choco chips (watch out those little chickpea suckers fly!). Add flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Mix on low speed until thick dough forms.

3. Drop cookies by tablespoon full, 2 inches apart. Press gently with fork to flatten. Bake until golden brown...about 11 minutes--careful not to overbake! Transfer to cookie rack to cool.




I think my little mug liked 'em!

4 comments:

Corrie said...

Is that a toy leaf blower he is holding? HILLARIOUS! Glad you tried these cookies. I'm the kind of person, though, who believes in the idea that life is too short to eat desserts made of strange things like garbanzo beans! :) Keep baking away!

lauren said...

I'm glad to know that yours were cakey, too! I baked some twice in a row from her cookbook and didn't know what I was doing wrong. I think they just look better than they taste!

JTapp said...

Joni makes a mean chocolate brownie recipe using other types of beans instead of flour.

Anonymous said...

OK, those look a little unappetizing, but at least they tasted ok. I have that book, too, but haven't tried too many things. However, I have used sweet potato puree in my morning pancakes and the kids never knew better. I also add a touch of vanilla to the batter, and it seems to go over well. -shannon