Sunday, June 15, 2008

One of a Kind

Occasionally, I have this terrible feeling of what if I had to do this without Brent. Not just the parent thing. The whole life thing. It's nice to have your best friend by your side to always bounce ideas off of. And to have him love you thru all your flaws. Which are many. Too many. One day, Brent became a father, and his life changed. His world was rocked. And I must say, I am totally surprised at the father he is. I guess I just never thought he would adore Tristan the way he does. Sure he would LOVE him, but truly want to be with him constantly...it caught me a little offguard. I think the face of fatherhood has changed in our generation. I really can't speak of many dads I know our age who are not "hands on"....diapers, baths, going to playgroup and all. Something to be admired from what others consider a "selfish" generation of kiddos such as we are. I give props to so many dads out there who are stepping it up!
Still, like many of you, I pray--I think my man is an extra special catch.
Brent, sometimes, I have to admit, you just do it better. And easier. I think that is just a quality you possess in most areas.
Playtime is just not the same. I find myself sometimes standing there with a blank look on my face of "what do I do with this playtime?" I just don't think to tackle, or spray water, or chase or fake shave, or bath at any time, or put child in the sink with the dishes. My mind is not as creative. Thanks for countless hours of entertaining--some have been the beacon of my salvation and sanity.



You are so very patient. I know you are still working on it all the time, but man--can I have some of yours? You always win in a patience showdown. I am excited to see that for the future as you have a LOT to teach this kiddo(s). Thanks especially for being patient as I take on this new and ever ever changing role as a mommy. Thanks for letting me yack in your ear about what the mommy office did and how long he cried at nap time and what Y nusery worker is on my B team for the day. You seem to really take interest in the new world that I have blindly jumped into.
I think this picture says a lot....
And of course, thank you for your joy. You express joy like none other. As a woman, this so encourages me. I know your joy comes from the Father as only that kind of joy can. I love how it spills over into your relationships. I think you are leaving a very lovely legacy for your children. You are just something else, my heart. I treasure you now and I will always treasure you.
Happy Father's Day!

10 comments:

JTapp said...

Always reading on your blog about how involved Brent is with Tristan has really inspired and encouraged me as I prepared for the same responsibilities. It really is fun to be so involved in the life of a child.

Kimberly said...

Tristan is a lucky fellow! I feel blessed that Creighton also gets to experience Uncle Bent in his life too. CDP talks about Brent all the time and it's obvious how much he loves him. Thanks for sharing your family with ours!
Happy Father's Day!

Nicki W. said...

jtapp,
you are going to be a great daddy! it is always evident ot me who will be a good dad by watching them love their wives, and i know you love joni so so much.

kp,
we are so blessed! we have bent and bimbi (benjie) to love on our little men! how cool is that?! i know bent loved cdp like family!!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing post about such a wonderful father! I too love how much time Isaac gets to spend at home with such flexible work hours (what a blessing)!!

Kyle and Marci said...

Hi Nicki! So glad you posted on my blog. I'm new to this whole blogging thing, but I love getting to take a peek into the lives of our friends. Love this post...too sweet! We live too close to one another to not see each other more often!

Rose said...

What a sweet, sweet blog! Go Brent!

laura said...

I loved this post! Such sweet pictures...it is clear Brent and Tristan share a special bond!

catherine said...

That was such a sweet post. (I cried!) I am so proud of Brent and you. You both seem so happy and loving your life as parents. Tristan (and sibling) are lucky to have great parents who love them and each other so much.

Robyn said...

Nicki I just love you guys! That was such a great post that shows what an incredible person and dad Brent is! I am so happy for yall as you are loving life being parents together...and super excited about your new little one that will be joining your special family. Love you!

Unknown said...

Oh my sweetness!!!! That was so sweet. I hope he read this!