Sunday, June 12, 2005

Glad You Pointed That Out

A couple of years ago, a guy in my Sunday School class said something that really stuck with me. He said of church marquees, "It is really sad that they (churches) put up "catchy" phrases instead of biblical scripture to draw people in, aren't churches supposed to share Truth with people?" Do you know what I am talking about? That little statement stuck with me for years. You will notice them now everywhere. The wisdom of humans. Please don't be offended by this if your church does this. This is simply my opinion, BUT maybe you can bring it up to your elders to have it changed? Just think about it. Since this guy pointed it out to me, I have been reading church marquees like crazy, trying to objectively think, "would this make me want to come and worship here--not knowing anything about church?" Usually, the answer is No. Here's why. We drove past one church yesterday (I am NOT naming any names, b/c it is in a prime location) whose marquee read, "God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts." Catchy, OK. Thought provoking, maybe. I give props to the dude who thought of this, but here's my thing...if you were NOT a Christian, or even if someone was, but maybe has never regularly attended church, would you even know what that meant? A non-Christian would be like spiritual fruits? You have to speak the truth in English, not Christianese, my friends. I mean, I know spiritual fruits are Biblical, but site a reference to scripture, and make it make sense. As you can see, this really is a peeve of sorts. All of this to say, I had given up on the whole church marquee thing, started to think...Hey, they have done their research and this is what works...catchy, cheesey, non-proverbs (I mean, if you really want catch phrases...go to PROVERBS--ya know?). When all of the sudden , we drove by a little Methodist church on Hwy 6, the marquee read: Give thanks to The Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever." Psalm 107:1. Finally! A marquee that speaks the Truth! I was overwhelmed with joy. Just something to chew on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great site »