Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Just a Good Ol' Boy

I wanted to take a moment to brag on my husband (but don't dare tell him I am bragging on him, he hates any sort of public praise). Have you ever known someone you were absolutely fascinated by? I have known a couple of people. It really takes a lot to impress me, good thing God created Brent just for me! Let me explain...
First, he is absolutely hilarious. Often times off-color, offensive and inappropriate (usually unintentionally), but all together funny. I usually have to reprimand him in public just to save my dignity and reputation, but laugh to myself and play it in my head over and over for a mid-day grin. We have that understanding, I think he usually tries to embarrass me to ensure I will have one of those "laugh out loud in church at an inappropriate time b/c you were thinking of something funny" moments later on, where in turn, I embarrass myself. He does impressions (which I have to say are not near as good as most of mine), has quick wit, but most of all-the best overall talent he has is physical comedy! He makes great faces and noises...I think he has almost no shame--which is what separates funny from VERY funny. He does not laugh at himself when being funny.
Secondly, he is a gentleman. A good ole' boy. He opens my doors, cleans the kitchen after I cook (EVERY time), he likes to surprise me, he helps around the house without being prompted, makes the bed every single morning, not to mention cooks and serves me breakfast daily (unless he is out of town), he has never called me a bad name, insulted me or made me feel small. I am not saying these things as a gushy newly-wed, I knew the man and dated him for 5 1/2 years (knew him as a friend for 9 years) before we married and we have been married for almost 2 1/2 years...you do the math. I know him, and he has been tested out--he has been this way for as long as I have known him. I can really say I am the princess of my house.
Third, he is smart. Not just in the medical doctor curing cancer way (though he could be if he wanted), but in a real life way. He solves problems well, finds multiple solutions, persuades people, speaks effectively, articulates his point (not my strongest suite), teaches well and has great patience when doing so. I think these qualties are what really attract me to Brent. He is such a wonderful leader--I love to watch him at work and at home.The man started his own business at 22 years old-and it is not a small beans thing, it is a major ordeal.
Fourth, (are you gagging?-you can always stop reading) he has tremendous passion. He follows through, and wants to make a difference. No matter what it is, if he is passionate about it, he goes 100% with full force. He loves to learn, he loves to help, and he is dedicated to his cause. He loves the Lord and lets that guide him. Because of these characteristics, he is successful.
Lastly, (only b/c your teeth are hurting) he is real. Don't ask Brent if you do not want to hear the truth. He does not sugar coat, he does not lie or "cushion", he tells you straight up. He has learned to buffer this over the years, mainly b/c I have explained to him the differences b/t men and women and how we really don't want to be told our new haircut makes us look "butch", however, he still manages to get his point across. He is innocently naive about the world, but wants to experience it for himself and doesn't want some know-it-all who has been somewhere once to tell him all the what-not's. He is a great listner...everyone should have a conversation with Brent and take notes on how to listen, but be prepared to be asked 101 questions. He reads faceds well, so don't even try.

I could go on and on...but I think I will go give my wonderful husband a kiss instead....