Monday, January 10, 2011

New Zealand

A long time ago, my in-laws invited Brent and I to go on a trip with them. We had sort of been sulking for years about how we were the only children who had not been on an elaborate trip with them. So, they took us to New Zealand! If you are like I was {slightly demographically challenged} you may not know much about NZ. First, it's not Australia. It's near it. Far away from the U.S. It is very minimally populated. It's extraorinarily clean. I was shocked at it's cleanliness. It is friendly. It is exceptionally beautiful. NZ is so spectacular to look at, there is NO WHERE to turn without feeling like you need a picture. It is like the most beautiful spot you can think of in Colorado or Alaska, or Montana mulitplied by 100 and then prescribed a steroid. It is breathtaking. The country is very patriotic and proud. I liked that. There is so much I could say about NZ that would fascinate you, but here was the kicker for me: there is no {absolutely zero} large, predatory wildlife. I mean nada. You look up into these massive landmarks expecting a grizzly to come out and eat you. Or a mountain lion to pounce you. Or something. Nothing. Only thousands upon thousands upon thousands of sheep. Lot-o-sheep.

 Perhaps I enjoyed taking "couple pics" a little too much. Let's  be honest. I missed getting to be in pictures with my boo.


 Here we rode a ferry to a lovely sheep farm and had lunch.



 After we returned to the city, we took a gandala up the mountain and did the luge down. It was fun!

 One day, we took a boat ride into 'Doubtful Sound'. It was unbelieveable. One of those things the pictures I took do no justice for. There were waterfalls everwhere and the water was eerily still. And it was so cold.






 Pam and I decided to be adventurous and take a jet boat safari. Although a safari seems to imply animals, and again, there are only ground birds.
 This farm is actually where they filmed Lord of the Rings, Wolverine, Cliffhanger and it is the picture of the peaks on the Coors beer can.
 This Red Beech tree is over 900 years old. They are hollow on the inside so we could crawl inside. Like hobbits.
 It was bitter cold. On a boat. Yowsers.

 Here are more couple pics from Queenstown.




 I fell in love with this raspberry sorbet at Patagonia's. I will make a trip back just to eat it again. Me and my desserts mean bid-ness.
 We went to like 3 wineries one morning.


 It rained the whole 7 days were there. Except for the last day. It was spectacular. We got to enjoy some time at the local town.

Just a really nice time to spend together sans kiddos. Not sure we will ever go back, but so blessed to say we got to experience probably the prettiest place on Earth. Thanks, Pam and Steve!!!

No comments: