Sunday, December 13, 2009

This Year....

If you are a blogger who only likes pictures, this post will REALLY bore you. If you are like my husband, and want something introspective to read {he is always telling me that my blog is no longer a blog, but a scrapbook} perhaps you will like it! I thought since I am not a fan of the New Year's Resolution, I would instead recap for myself some of the things that I have learned from in the year 2009. Writing something down is a good way to really see for yourself what changes were made, or at least it is for me. Thinking on all aspects of my life, spiritual, emotional, social, intellectual, physical and recalling what unfolded. Some good. Some not so good. Improvement always welcome, but I am not holding myself to it!

On Motherhood: Since this is the biggest area of my life, taking up the most time...encompassing all areas of my life, it is probably a good place to start. I have had a full year in 2009 with 2 children. Here is what I learned:

  • There are good times when I cry. There are bad times when I really cry.
  • I was pleasantly surprised at the transition from 1 to 2. It was not as bad {for me} as people said.
  • That being said though, there are things that really changed and were hard. Brent and I are a tag-team duo. You are more tired. Outings are often a chore. Travel is for the birds.
  • I am terrible at getting 2 kids out the door on time. Seems like such a menial task, but getting them dressed and loaded up with all the necessities is hard for me. Definitely something I need to work on!
  • I lack patience in a major way.
  • Two children take my germ-a-phobe ways to new heights.
  • Big boy bed transition was easy.
  • Potty training is still in training {the poop part} and extremely frustrating. Hence the patience thing.
  • I love having one of each. Each of their worlds excite me so much. I LOVE the difference between boys and girls and it has been so much fun to experience them both!
  • Both of my kids have been such a joy this year. Each of them have shown me how different two children in the same family can be and how important it is to foster the differences early!
  • I have grown a profound appreciation for my parents, Brent's parents and really, all parents. It is truly a daily siege {I mean that in the best way possible}. Constantly dying to self. Making a ton of mistakes, and seeing how quickly the mistakes WE make turn into potential problems for them. Celebrating the smallest victories and knowing tomorrow will look NOTHING like today. It is a wild ride, folks!

On Marriage: Never wanting marriage to take a backseat to kids. Always vowing to make it a top priority. Figuring out that I don't have it figured out.

  • My husband is so wonderful.
  • Date night is still not top priority. Needs to be.
  • Parenting brings up a whole new set of issues to sort thru. I have become KEENLY aware at how extremely important it is to be on the "same page" in every area. That is tricky sometimes, but I think we do a good job.
  • Overall, there is such an importance to keep your common interests fresh, keep doing fun things together. Laugh. Let the little things go.

On Jesus Christ: The very being of my existence. The reason I have anything at all to be thankful for.

  • I have learned a huge amount of knowledge of Heaven and the place God created us to return to. Puts my mind at ease.
  • Been involved in 'Jesus Said Love'-going to local strip clubs every month and getting to know and love the dancers there. Eye opening for me to say the least. I have been humbled by it. Not because I feel sorry for them, but I feel like we are all one step away from sin that can spiral us into a place we would have never dreamed. I often wonder what my life could have or could turn into if I succumb to sin enough. It has been a privilege to serve there and see a couple of the women actually leave the industry!
  • Still working on knowing Jesus for who He is. Still want to be more intimately involved with him.
  • Our church family has been incredibly instrumental in teaching me more about the Bible. Our new connection group leader is a PHENOMENAL teacher and I feel like I have experience a new awakening there in terms of biblical knowledge. A very timely blessing.

On Other Things: The other parts of life.

  • Losing baby weight. Although it is wrought with controversy {heehee} I did it and some. I feel stronger than ever. I am extremely grateful to have such an outlet of stress-relief in exercise! I am enjoying teaching many classes as well as working out with a core group of friends. It has been a fun little early morning gig.
  • Friendships. This year has been strange for me in friendships. The Lord blatantly showed me some relationships that I needed to back away from--not because the people were bad influences--but the importance I placed on their acceptance was not healthy. He also showed me some very special and tender relationships I was missing out on and needed to foster instead. This growth has been huge for me and hard in a lot of ways. However, I trust him and have to daily remind myself that He knows who and what is better for me.
  • Also this year, I have just gained this tremendous sense of self. I feel like as a young mother, there is so much pressure to do certain things. Be a part of certain circles. Have your kids in certain things. It sort of brings you back into high school mentality at times...a lot of judgement. I have felt so much more at ease with myself and the way I do things. The way I dress. The way I worship. The way I associate with others. I don't know. It's hard to explain. I just feel more confident in the way I approach a lot of things. Maybe it's old age!

Ok, this is about all I can think of. There is soooo much I could specifically write about, but I think this will do. Hopefully, I can look back at this and jog my memory of the way I felt when I was 29 {with a few weeks to spare} and had 2 young kiddos. I wonder what next year will feel like!

13 comments:

Alison said...

What an amazing year! I need to think of what I've learned as well. And I'm with Brent in loving the introspective posts, but that's only because I like to write them on my own blog.:) I was so intrigued by the Jesus Said Love ministry you mentioned and looked it up online--it sounds very similiar to xxx church. Very cool--so great you are involved in that!

Swartz's Scribbles said...

What a great post. I loved what you wrote under "other things"

The Holmans said...

Thanks for sharing Nicki! I love following your life and really have learned so much. You are an inspiration - and keep me motivated in so many areas - marriage, weight, self confidence, spiritually and hopefully parenthood one day :) Merry Christmas! And here's to 2010!

angie said...

Great idea! I love your authenticity momma!!! Thank you for being so open and honest. That Jesus said love ministry sounds incredible, I love that you are reaching women for Christ-not just women who fit a certain profile. Friendship can be tricky and I am sooooo past all that high school, clique stuff too! You do a wonderful job balancing it all girl and I love reading your blog:-).

Sally said...

great idea about reflection...so many times we just don't take the time to do that...it's so important to be still and just "sort" through things ya know? thanks for encouraging me to think thru that some myself. and ahh...until then, pray for MY transition from 1 to 2. :) hopefully it'll be as simple as yours was...and i agree, travel with 2 may definitely be for 'da birds!! ha ha! hugs sweet friend! thanks for sharing your heart!

lauren said...

I loved reading this post! You have a beautiful heart, and I'm always inspired by how well you listen to God. I'm so thankful for all of the time I've gotten to spend with you this past year. I can relate a lot to this post and am actually working on a totally different style post but has some similar things in it. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Good one on Welcome to Nicksterland - it helps a lot!

We clearly share similar parenting experiences and views.
I've been reading one that I'm hooked on - http://todayscliche.com/.
I have a feeling you'd get a lot out of it.

Incredible job on your blog; keep it up.

Thanks,
Amy

walkers said...

thanks for sharing, love your "introspective" posts.

Having It All said...

It is very evident that you have a heart for God - it shows in all parts of your life. Bless you! I enjoyed this post and can say, "Amen!" to pretty much all of it, especially the motherhood section!

Christian Family said...

You have a gift...actually MANY gifts!!!
Thank you for your inspiration, for your ability to put into words what I am sure MANY are feeling, and for just having a precious heart for GOD!!!

Lauren Madison said...

So encouraged by you, Nicki! I look up to you so much and love being involved with your sweet family. Thanks for writing...I always enjoy reading :)

Kimberly said...

If I can find time to sit and if I can think...I've got to evaluate my own year. I know I've learned so much and changed even more as we waited to learn and eventually meet the baby boy who would make our family go from three to four, experience all the changes Creighton had to endure as he grew up so quickly anticipating a brother, my friendships, marriage, family, God...oh goodness...I better go make my list!

Thanks for being who you are and sharing your life so freely!

The Johnstons said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing your heart and inspiring me. :)