Wednesday, November 18, 2009

No Good Choice

Oh friends. My heart is breaking tonight. I hate it when you are faced with choices--none of which are good ones. Frankie has a very aggressive tumor on her leg. It was removed, but had "fingers" and is potentially life threatening. We are faced with the choice of leaving it alone and praying nothing will come of it {it has been diagnosed as a stage 2}, however there is a good chance she will get very sick and die. Or we can amputate her leg which has a better chance of getting the whole tumor out. A better chance she will live longer. Obviously, I want her to live longer. Though she is 7, Frankie still has some 'go' left in her. If she were very old, I may just let things happen, knowing she was old and uncomfortable anyway. Still, it makes me sad to think of my little furry baby hobbling around on 3 legs. Brent says dogs don't suffer emotionally in the same way we do and that she will bounce back. Part of me just feels so bad about taking that leg from her. Thankfully, our Vet is a sweet friend of ours who has talked me thru all the options thoroughly and with great sensitivity. The worst part is, there are no guarantees any way we go. Man, this is the worst. I think we are leaning towards the amputation. It is going to happen very soon if we go that route. Tomorrow or Friday. I am asking you to pray that we have absolute peace in this decision. Maybe you are a dog-lover and maybe not. Frankie has for sure taken a back-seat {literally and figuratively} to our human children the past 3 years, however, this is my first puppy. My first dog. My first take at responsibility. My cuddle partner when Brent is away. And a very quiet and loyal friend. Don't even get me started on what she means to the kids. Especially Mug. I just don't want to say I didn't try to help her. If we amputate and she still gets sick, at least I know we did feasibly all we could for a pet.
I googled 3 legged pugs tonight and this one popped up. It does not seem so bad. Kinda cute. Please pray for our family and especially for little Frankie.

14 comments:

kinsey said...

sad! saying some prayers for yall...

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Aw, poor Frankie. But let me tell you, I watch the animal planet all the time (don't judge me), and just the other day I saw an episode of Animal Cops Detroit and one of the pups had to have a leg amputated. The vet talked all about how dogs just deal with it, and it isn't an emotional thing for them. They completely compensate for it and will often do just as well if not better with only 3 legs versus 4.

If she were my dog (which she is not, so you know I'm only giving you LOVING advice and suggestions but will totally support whatever you decide as Frankie's Momma), I would amputate and do what you can, that way if Frankie does succumb to the cancer in the end (which we're all praying she doesn't), you will know you did all you could.

LOVES, HUGS AND KISSES FOR FRANKIE FROM HER SCHNAUZER FRIENDS, MAGGIE AND MARLEE!!

Kimberly said...

U know I am a dog lover too so I feel for you having to make such a difficult decision! Will pray you have peace with whatever happens.

Rose said...

So sorry that you are having to deal with this! Sad sad. :(

Angie said...

oh my goodness! we are praying for peace for you guys. i know how much she means to all of you!

Kimberly said...

I had no idea.Even though I am not a pet person, your house will not be the same without Frankie. I will be praying for you today.

Jennifer said...

Praying for you! We all love Frankie, especially my little one! I know you will make the right decision for her!

laura said...

Praying for you and Frankie today...

Page said...

oh, i'm saying my prayers for y'all. you know i'm crazy about my pugs...and i know that feeling of them as our first "baby" (I JUST blogged about Winston being my first baby and what he taught me about motherhood!) Whatever decision you make I know will be made with love. Please keep us updated!

Lacy said...

As a fellow dog lover, I would do anything to save my dogs even if that means amputation. I know it must be heart-wrenching to make such a tough decision, but I believe she'll bounce back. I'll be praying for you!

Shannon said...

I am so sorry! Please know that I am praying for peace and that Frankie will bounce back and be as good as new so very soon.

lauren said...

I'm so sorry you have to make this tough decision. I'll be praying for y'all!

Sally said...

sweet sweet lil frankie!!! i actually think that 3 legged pup is too cute!!! thinking of ya'll...keep us posted on what evolves ok!

The Johnstons said...

I am so, so sorry that all of this has happened, but know that Frankie is in the best care possible and has a doctor that treats his patients as his own. He prays for those animals before, during and after surgery...and has a wife that does too! ;) We have been thinking about y'all and praying more than you know. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do!