Thursday, December 11, 2008

Elves on Shelves and Traditions

The Elf on The Shelf (please read all about it)!
Whatever. This is a genius idea. We are having so so so much fun with this this Christmas! If you need to keep your tot in line, check for the stores that sell it in your area on the website. Plus it is just super duper cute! This is my new most favorite Christmas tradition!! You better behave...The elf (our elf's name is O'Tootle) is watching you.... In the midst of many many feedings, I finally got Christmas up after 10 days! I can't say it is the way I would want it in a perfect world. But in the world of breastfeeding, poop and lots of Sesame Street, it will do just fine! Here is our "kid's tree". I plan to eventually fill it up with ornaments from each year, but since they are so young, I print and pin pictures up from the year.


Please pay close attention to our tree that I refer to as "Sports Center" (below). Brent and I put all of our childhood ornaments on this tree. The poor tree is a leaning tower. My parents gave us a new one, but we already had this one up and it is a royal pain to take apart, so we will just use it for one more year.
Besides the Elf, we are doing some other traditions now that Mug is getting a better idea of what Christmas is all about. By the way, he is in LOVE with Santa. He has been to see him twice and lays on his lap and pats him and will not get out of his lap! It is hilarious! What 2 year old likes Santa? Aren't they supposed to cry in every picture like all of mine growing up? Nope, not Mug. He talks about him like he is family!
Anywho:
  • 12 days of Christmas-starting tomorrow I am going to hang Mug's stocking on his bedroom door with a goody in it (very small trinkets, candy, etc.) with a few verses from the Christmas story in the Bible.
  • Bake Santa cookies and write him a Thank You note-I always loooved this when I was young. I also made salads for all the reindeer. My mom always seemed opposed to that, now I know why!
  • Read the real Christmas story! I know it is a lot to take in for little bits, but I would love for them to know why we truly celebrate!
  • I really really really want to make an effort to give back. I want my children to understand they are blessed. I want them to have hearts for others who do not get to spend Christmas the way that we do. It still breaks my already bleeding heart when I think about children and adults who do not have a family or traditions or presents. So, I am hoping to serve with Mug and Reesey in some capacity. I am still trying to find something appropriate for his age. I'll keep you posted!

Those are just a few, I love the kids getting older and getting into the spirit! It sure brings back the spark in things I used to love!! We really tried to not get the kids a whole lot. I don't want to dilute the meaning of Christmas--although it is so fun to shop for them!

And what would a post be without pictures of kids? This is a tradition we started this year. Giving Tristan hot chocolate every night. Well, every night unless he has loaded up on sugar beforehand. It is so cute to see him sip from his very own mug!!

...And sweet Reese! Sleeping sleeping sleeping. With her arms busted out! No swaddle for this babe!


9 comments:

Kyle and Marci said...

We have the Elf on the Shelf too and although Karlie can't understand it yet, I think it'll be great in a year or two.

kinsey said...

this is the first year i've ever heard about the Elf on the Shelf but i want one!! not sure it would go over well to tell scott he's being watched though...ha! guess i'll wait for little ones in our house to start that tradition. darn.

Callie said...

Love those stockings from PB Kids! We have those too! I got them last year for us and then after Christmas they went down to like $5, so I bought three extra for future Edwards. Just for good measure, I may order more this year to have extra in case one gets messed up or something. I LOVE them!
Tristan is so sweet with his hot chocolate 'stache.

SuperMom said...

Ordered Elf on the Shelf a few days ago....can't wait to get it. BTW: Where did you get Reese snow baby ornament with her name on it? I collect Snow Baby ornament for Landrie, but I've never seen one that can be personalized. They have the cutest 12 days of Christmas Snow Babies at Dillards. I heart them so much!

laura said...

We LOVE Elf on the Shelf! We did that last year with my nephews-named him Buddy-and they had a blast with it. Such a fun tradition!

Reese is gorgeous, just like her momma!

Kelly said...

They are so cute!!

Kelly said...

Oh, we have the Elf too - he is Bernard. I have an almost 4 year old and a one year old.

stephanie howell said...

Hey sweet girl! Don't ask about how I found you, it involves MUCH blog hopping. But I just wanted to tell you congratulations on sweet Reese, she is just beautiful.

Missed you at the cookie swap and today at gymnastics...I hope to meet baby girl soon.

Oh yeah, and we have elf at our house too, but his name is "turtle". Don't even ask, that's what Harper named him last year. Nice.

xo

jasonbob said...

kobe byrant shoes
supreme
lebron shoes
yeezy 500
nike shox
nike kyrie 5
supreme sweatshirt
hermes
moncler sale
yeezy boost