Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Off You Go, Little One

I so appreciate all of your sweet comments of encouragement on my previous post. As you can gather, Mug went to school! He was all geared up saying, "school", "pack pack", "lunk box", and "nap mat". Guess I have engrained something in his head, huh? Kimberly and I went for an early morning workout--which really helped me ease my nerves. As I returned home to get ready, Mug tore the house apart. I thought surely this is a good sign that he will not be as bored there as he is here with me! Dropping him off was hilarious. There were so many mommy offices! It was another first for me! We ran into the Polnicks (ok, we planned it for a photo-op) and Holly and Parker--among other women I knew going for the first time. It was a mix of old-pro's who drop-and-go and old saps like me who tended to linger. I have learned from church nursery that the lingering usually proves to be a curse. I even asked one of the old saps if this was her first and she said, "nope, and it never gets easier". I felt we were new sorority sisters. Mugs class seemed fine. More girls than boys. Uh-oh. Practice for the future lady killer. His teacher was thorough and assured me there were TONS of first timers in his class, so tears were no biggie.
I did the firm, "Bye, bye, Tristan. Mommy will see you in a few hours, Ok? Love you." All I got was a glance and a look away. No tears on either of our parts. I think for me, the well had simply run dry.
Overall, it seemed like a little bit of chaos, but normal. All the mommies doing the same thing. Funny how our lives are consumed with this stuff. I will be the first to tell you, I NEVER thought mine would be concerned with something like the first day of Mother's Day Out.
Still, as you can see by the smitten (and rather odd I might add) looks on my face, I would not have it any other way. I love this little guy and I praise God for all I can do for him and all he is to us.
**ADDITION***
Tristan did great!! His teacher said he did not cry once until the mommies started picking the other kiddos up. No surprise to me since he does this every sunday at church! They said he ate his entire lunch minus a few blueberries and when he heard that he ran over to me saying, "Blueberries! Blueberries!" The teacher said he was super sweet and adorable. Ah, thanks! I also saw several people there who had had his teacher before and everyone told me they wish their kids could still be in her class because she was the best one! Wow! That is a God thing. An answered prayer for this weary mama! And get this...little Mug slept for a whole hour on his nap mat!! What?! My Mug? Did you happen to get a photo of that 8th world wonder. I guess they know what they are doing! After a piece of Creighter's cookie, we were off. He was telling school as we pulled out, "bye, bye, school! bye, nap mat"! So, all in all it was a good day. For Mug and especially mommy. Now, I just have to think of creative things to do when my sleepy nugget gets home on Tuesdays after only having an hour nap! Hmmm....

12 comments:

lauren said...

Nic, I'm so so sorry about your hard last couple of days, and I'm SO glad to see that it went well!! Tristan looks adorable in his school clothes and backpack. I just know that Tristan is going to make so many new friends and be a little stud among all of the girls! :) I hope you are feeling better now. Love you!

Mollie said...

Nicki!
I'm so glad it went well and ended up working out! I haven't even held our little guy yet and I already know that I'm going to be furiously protective of him! It's amazing that one could feel that way and how it happens even before they're born!! I'll try to remember how things worked out for you when it's my turn for MDO.

The Christiansons said...

Hey Nicki! I love reading about your sweet little Tristan! He looks so cute ready to go to school! I can't wait to hear how he liked it!!! :)

Robyn said...

Nicki, I think it is great you went ahead and took him. The thing I thought as I read your posts was that at this point you may not know who might be in his class that YOU and HE will get to be a blessing to...now and/or in the years to come. There may be kids and moms who will need you guys, who you might get to totally bless, and that may become so precious to you also. You are great at caring about so many people, so this will give you a new area and some more to know and love in your special way...and give Tristan more kids to grow in friendship with too. Love,
Robyn

kinsey said...

i bet he loved it! love the pack pack ;-)

Anonymous said...

aw i just teared up reading this! i worked at academy for creative learning for 4 years in the youngest class so i saw a lot of "first timers" going thru "the stage". and now i will have to do the same with my baby sooner than later! i think it is harder on the parents than the children! if u are like me, u want ur baby to go to "day care" and meet new friends and have that important interaction with others but at the same time u dont ever want to leave them with ppl they dont know! ah the joys of parenthood!
good luck with everything!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Nicki!
I found out about your blog from my mom via Pam. :) I LOVE it by the way! (makes me wanna be a blogger) Ok I was tearing up reading about Tristan going to school! I'm right there with ya sister! I didn't know anyone in AnnMarie's class, but when I got there I figured out I did know one little boy. So that is good!
btw---on a different post---I know BOB!!!!!! We have the single blue one. I LOVE it. You will love it. You need one! Find a way! :) hehe

Jennifer said...

I am so proud of you, girl! I know it was difficult. I can't imagine what I will be like when that day comes for me. Tristan will benefit from this experience so much, and it will only help him prepare for school in the future! He will make incredible friendships in his new class, and the Lord will be with him every Tuesday! *Fer*

Jenny Hering said...

Nicki, you're braver than I am! I had Kinleigh signed up and ready to go yesterday and...well, we didn't go! I couldn't justify it because I don't NEED it either. So, we stayed home and played and went shopping! (great mommy-daughter bonding!!) :) Maybe in the spring I'll get braver, but for now, my barely one year old is staying put! :) (yeah, yeah, I know I'll probably be different when baby number 2 comes along!) :)

angie said...

Yeah:)...I think that you are incredibly brave, and I promise you will learn to love MDO days! Just think that T will already be used to going when baby #2 arrives and you can have that time just for you and the baby!!! I am thrilled that Tristan and Ally are together in the same class, and you're right about Dawn, she's SO pateint and loving and wonderful she's the best!

Kimberly said...

Little T!!! I'm so proud of all him & all our kids who spend five hours in an unfamiliar location with unfamiliar people and don't go crazy the entire day! Infact, they seemed to have actually enjoyed themselves.

I'm proud of you too, Nic! I know it took a lot for you to comfortably adjust to him being away. You're a great mommy!

Next Tuesday, I'll pick them both up and keep them for the afternoon & return him to you around dinner.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that he had such a great day! My niece started a new school last week and my mom said she cried every day when being dropped off and it literally broke my heart! Don't know how I'll bear leaving a crying Kaleb.

Love the new pics!