Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I have been so hungry for God the past couple of days. I wish I could say I wake up every day with this hunger, but the reality is I don't. I love the feeling of hunger for the Lord. Wanting to read and soak it all in--wanting to shout His love from the rooftops! It is exhilarating to me! And overwhelming. Today during my quiet time, (er, I think "quiet time" for me may have to turn into "Moderately quiet while Tristan throws his waffles, watermelon and balls at me" time), I was reading Lamentations. Oh boy, you may think. How cheerful and sunny. Right, right, it is not usually the most joyous of books, BUT it was such a whisper in my ear today--more on that in a moment!! I tend to get excited about the Lord and tell Him exactly what I am going to do for Him. I think that is where my overwhelmed feelings come in...I want to do so much...I want to serve, serve, serve! Today, though. The Lord set me straight. He told me to be quiet. To be still. To listen. Just listen. I don't have the right to tell Him what I am going to do--not out of my own desires to please. Often my desires are not as much to please Him as they are to please me and what makes me fulfilled. I need to wait on Him to tell me what He wants me to do for Him! For some reason, today was the day I heard that! Maybe because I was listening?! Hmmm...
Back to Lamentations. Lately while Tristan has been having "winding down" time in his room before naps, I have been reading "The Power of a Praying Parent". This is a book I have always intended to read, but have not. Needed to lots. Just haven't. The beginning of the book has a verse Lamentations 2:19 "Pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord. Lift up your hands to Him for the lives of your children..." great verse. Since I loved the verse so much, I thought this morning I would read on. Well, wouldn't you know it? God just gave me a gem. Something I wish happened everday. Right after I quieted myself to listen, I read on to find this,
"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning: great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will WAIT FOR HIM (are you jumping out of your chairs, friends?) The Lord is good to those who hope in Him, to the one who seeks Him, it is good for man to bear the yoke while he is young. LET HIM SIT ALONE IN SILENCE, FOR THE LORD HAS LAID IT ON HIM."
Lamentations 3:22-28

Holy Moly. I am humbled. Daily, Lord, daily make me wait for you! Make your wants my wants. In the quiet, still my soul! I love your ways! I love your timing! I love how you speak to me...the lowliest and most undeserving of your goodness. You speak to me with your Word and truth. I love you most whole-heartedly! Father, show me more...show me more!!!

3 comments:

walkers said...

amen girl! i love it when he does that- just on a normal ol' day breaks through into our little worlds. YOU are a gem, a pearl of great price!

Melissa said...

This is good! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

I found the EXACT same verse whileI was teaching in Bryan. I worked in a very tough school, but one I loved, and I needed that "quiet" time with God to get through my daily grind. One thing I love about God's timing and wisdom is it manifests itself in different ways for different people. The part that hit home for me was "...his compassions never fail, they are NEW EVERY MORNING." So, I wrote it on a notecard and taped it to my bathroom mirror, so I could see it when I was getting ready in the morning, sometimes dreading what the day would bring at school, and I was reminded every morning that He was in control and would provide His compassion when and where I needed it. Keep preachin', Nick! I LOVE it!