Tuesday, May 08, 2007

where is the love?

I am not sure what prompted this observation. Perhaps it is the time I can now spend listening to the radio--I keep music on in the nursery constantly to instill the love of music in my son that his father and I have. It works, by the way. The child loves him some tunes. Anywho, as I am listening to the radio more and downloading more tunes to my I-pod, I realized something. Where are all the good love songs? I mean, are people not writing them anymore? The kind you can relate to. The kind you deem "ours". The kind that burn a feeling of a certain time in you life and when you hear it, you are brought to tears. You are so overwhelmed by it that you can almost not listen to it. Does that happen to anyone else or is it just me? I know music does that a lot, it is sort of what it is made for. There are a lot of songs out there that evoke emotion, but not the love kind! But I just feel like there are not that many good love songs!!! So, I can going to make a list in honor of all the lost love songs--ones that make me smile and make me remember certain times in my life. I would like to hear from you all--what love songs make you feel that certain something?
Here are some of mine:
-"The Blower's Daughter" Damien Rice
-"Rocking in the Arms of Your Memory" George Straight
-"You Were Meant for Me" Jewel
-"End of the Road" Boyz II Men (don't act like you didn't love it)
-"Fade into You" Mazzy Star

and here are my favorite lyrics of all time. I almost can't believe how much I love these lyrics. They still get me.

"I Love You" Sarah McLachan

I have a smile, stretched from ear to ear
To see you walking down the road.
We meet at the lights and stare for a while.
the world around us disappears
it's just you and me on my island of hope
a breath between us could be miles.
let me surround you,
a sea to your shore.
let me be the calm you seek.
oh, but everytime i'm close to you,
there's too much i can't say,
then you just walk away.
and i forgot to tell you, i love you.
the night is too long and cold here without you.
i grieve in my condition,
for i cannot find the words to say i need you so.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of my favorites are "More Than Words" by Extreme & "To Be With You" by Mr. Big. Yeah, I know I went all 80's on you.

But for a great modern love song that most people will probably never hear,

"Inevitable" by Anberlin

Nicki W. said...

nathan,

right on! great choices...you know your music~better than me even ;)

lauren said...

Nic,
I'm going to have to disagree with you that there are no good love songs out right now. Have you heard "Lost Without You" by Robin Thicke?? I LOVE it and love that he wrote it to his wife! I can't think of the song right now, but the one that was on American Idol gives back when showing the children over in South Africa. That one moves me...the tune...I don't know the words. One of my all time favs is "Take My Breath Away". Jewel always reminds me of driving around with you.

Nicki W. said...

good point! what is that AI song? point taken!
a lot of the songs remind me of you and me in high school. mainly when we would harmonize everything!

Audrey T said...

He he he...End of the Road!

One of my favorites (not new though) is Keeper of the Stars by Tracy Byrd.

lauren said...

Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol...I looked it up. Yes, and we had great harmony together!

Tiffany said...

Nicki,
Thanks for giving me a good list to update my ipod with! I loved Jewel!!

laura said...

I still love "All I Want Is You" by U2, and "This Love" by Don Henley. He has a great album he wrote after he got married--it has some of our favorite love songs on it that we had at our wedding. We also love Coldplay, "The Message" from their latest album is sweet.

Nicki W. said...

I like "My Humps" My lovely lady lumps it is provocative.

Brent

Shelly said...

Definitely "I Will Be Here" by Steven Curtis Chapman. Such a great song that he wrote for his wife.