Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Weighting Game

There are some really bad phases that one may have to go through in their lives.
I rank them in this order:
1. A divorce
2. Terminal illness
3. The awkward stage in life where you move from maternity clothes to regular clothes.

You see, I am in that phase, and while it may sound a bit dramatic, (ok, it IS a bit dramatic) this is a really awful phase to have to go through!
You know what I am talking about. The day the "6 week" time is up. Who thought of this time frame anyway? Hasn't that genius heard of the old addage, "if it takes 9 months to put it on..." Why didn't the two get together and come up with a better time to look forward to. One is tooooooo short and one is waaaay too long!

Here's the scenario at 6 week mark:
You walk into your closet, pull out your favorite pair of Sevens...and you pull them up. To your hips. Grunt. Tug. Struggle. Grunt again. Go to button. Look in the mirror. Gasp! You think to yourself, or shall I say, I thought to myself, "When on earth did my hips spread?!" Tear. Have mine eyes been deceiving me?
I was that girl who ranted to everyone, "My hips have not spread one bit," I would say, "my belly is the only thing growing and narry a stretch mark!"
Gag. What was I saying? I must have been asking for it because here I sit at the much anticipated "6 weeks and your body will be back to it's old self again, just wait and see you will lose like 120 pounds, and fit back into your size 0 again, especially if you are breastfeeding because you burn like 500 calories per feed, I promise" waiting period is over. My (much to my dismay larger) hiney says otherwise! I have also checked the scale which is not a very friendly reminder. It has remained 12 pounds heavier than my pre-pregnancy weight for, ummm....oh yeah. 6 weeks!


I have to admit, the nightly desserts with home cooked meals from all of our beloved friends have not helped me in acheiving my old physique. Though, I will not complain! I have enjoyed every last morsel and I would not deter anyone from doing it again my next go 'round! But after the last meal is delivered next week, I am hitting the gym, going back to teaching my classes and eating healthy. Period. No more senseless sweets.
Now, I am sure there are those of you out there who actually looked your old self tight abs and all at 6 weeks, heck, maybe even 4 weeks--good for you!

As for me, until that day comes, I will now go to my closet and pull out the trusty old gauchos or stretchy skirt. And a shirt that gapes open when buttoned. That's a whole other issue we won't touch on now.
Disclaimer: I hope everyone knows that when I look into my sweet little clone's eyes, the awkward fitting clothes are worth it! However, when he acts up in the future, I will gently remind him of what all my body has gone thru just for him ;) We do it all in the name of love!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicki,
I am impressed that you are only 12 pounds heavier than before baby!!! I gained almost 60 pounds with both girls and it took me 6 months to get it off both times! I was so busy taking care of babies, that I hardly had time to work out or plan meals better. It takes time! You are determined to lose it so I bet it won't be much longer.
Marcy (schaffer) Everett

Corrie said...

Such a funny post, Nic! I love it!
I think our bodies serve as great reminders of times in life. Scars from chicken pox, budding crows feet from laughing so hard, old sports injuries, stretch marks, etc. all remind us of something from our past. They each have a story.
I have a scar on my upper lip from when I was around 10. I took my Mimi's battery operated lint remover, turned it on, and stuck it on my lip. Not one of my most brilliant moments, but a memory nonetheless!
Your body will shed what it doesn't need and keep what it does. I know you'd agree, Tristan was worth it all! :)
P.S. I'm sure you'll have to tell this all to me someday!

Anonymous said...

Nicki-
I have loved reading your blog over the past few months. You have really made me laugh. I just figured out I could leave you a message. Congratulations on your baby boy. Would love to see you next time I am in Waco!
Caroline Fischer

aWare said...

Dito!

Kimberly said...

Nicki I love this! You crack me up! Hello-who are those people that have tight abs after 6 weeks anyways? Lets go get 'em and lock' them up for making us ever feel inadequate! Ha!
Trust me girl-if anyone will lose that weight I have no doubt you would be the one! I'm sure you look gorgeous 12 pounds heavier or not. Because there is something about being a mom now that makes those extra pounds a little bit sweeter in the best way they can be.
I was bummed about giving up breastfeeding because of the extra calories burned so at least you do have that to continue for ya!!

Lance/Misty said...

Oh please, you look wonderful!!!! And your attitude makes you even more lovable!!! You know me and my workout go hand in hand, but I didn't lose the weight for like 4 months and then I didn't feel comfortable in my clothes for like 8 months. I know it is discouraging, but you are doing awesome and when you put your mind to it, it will be success all around.

Suzanne said...

amen on that last part sista...imagine MY horror as i read your post! hahaha...

Audrey T said...

All in due time...in the mean time, enjoy those desserts while they're around! As the weather gets prettier, taking Tristan out for a stroll will become lots more appealing!

When can you start aerobics again?

How much did you gain during your pregnancy?

Nicki W. said...

hi all!

cor, i know my body is a symbol of my newfound treasure! i just wish i had some pants to wear! LOL ;)

m,
love ya girl! you are my inspiration!

suze,
i think we are a lot alike, i know you will work hard to shed the extra weight. in your case, you will be running like a mad woman feeding, changing, holding 4 babies, which will put you back in your skinny jeans immediately.

audrey,
i gained around 34 pounds during the pregnancy. i am already in aerobics again and will resume my classes in a week and a half. hopefully it will help! my biggest thing is i need to cool it on the extra calories!!

lauren said...

Nic, I think there's something big about 2-3 months. Not that I was back down all the way, but I felt like I started looking like (or similar to) my old self again. Each week makes a big difference! Before you know it, you'll be back to your teeny-tiny self (from pictures it looks like you already are). You are beautiful and don't need to worry about this!

Nicki W. said...

caroline,
oh laud shiel! where you be hidin' at?

l,
thanks. i think it will be better in the next few months! i do agree, it has improved weekly shape wise.

marcy,
it is encouraging to hear that the weight does come off!! :)

aWare said...

I meant to put ditto!

laura said...

Nicki, you are hilarious! I loved this post. You put right out there what I think a lot of us yet-to-be-pregnant women fear, and what post-pregnant women have to deal with. BUT, wow, you are such a hard worker I have no doubt those pounds will be gone before you know it. Did I ever tell you that you inspired me to work out and lose those 20 pounds when we worked together? You were so positive about being healthy, it inspired me (as did your continued working out throughout your pregnancy!) Don't forget to savor the fact that you can still eat more with the breast feeding and all...I can't wait to use that as an excuse!! :)

Suzanne said...

i want to see more pics of sweet little tristan! i know you have your hands full...