Saturday, December 24, 2005

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Christmas, Christmas, Christmas! It's Christmas Eve, people!! Can you believe it? I love the anticipation of Christmas Day and when Christmas Eve gets here I want to pause time. I think I actually love +mas Eve the most. Especially as a kid. Looking at the sky for Santa's sleigh and wanting to go to bed so you could wake up early to see what you got! Christmas is sheer nostalgia. It sort of tapers off as we age. Brent is a Christmas junkie though, so he keeps it fun. I can't wait to have kids at Christmas! Last night we picked up Starbucks and drove around looking at all the Christmas lights. I have to say something though about that. I know that white lights are now the "IT" thing because they are "classy and streamline" and all that B.S. But you have to admit, there is nothing more fun than to drive by a house complete with colored lights and characters and what not. I mean, doesn't that catch your eye more than tree trucks wrapped? OK, I still see that from a child's point of view, but I am advocating for the colored light comeback. The BIG bulbs. Love 'em. Anywho. Today starts the family extravaganza at 3:00. Therefore, Brent and I opened our gifts this morning (a tradition). I got a new Sony digital camera 7.2 Cybershot! Yea, baby! I had no idea. I thought I was only dreaming. Once again, Brent is the big winner. He got a GPS so he and his friends do not get lost when they are in the mountains fishing...and you all know who you are. So I am cooking for the Fretty's at 3:00 and we will do the present thing with them. Then church. Then all of us over to the Wilson's for the Eve Event. That is what I just deemed it. We eat, play games and eat. We are blessed that we can do this with both families. Brent and me and his siblings and Kendra will all spend the night there and open presents in the morning and then eat and eat. We all re-convene for a movie, this year is Narnia. Repeat and wash. Reverse for next year. Here are some of my favorite Christmas things:

  • Brent reading "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" to me every Christmas
  • having Christmas Eve morning all by ourselves drinking coffee and playing with our gifts
  • Every night having "hot drinks". This means Cider, tea or coffee. For some reason we start it on Thanksgiving night until Christmas.
  • Matching PJ's
  • My family. All of them. The Frettys and the Wilsons are the best people to spend holidays with
  • surprises. Brent is full of them.
  • stockings
  • nativity scenes
  • Christmas china--Boxwood and Pine
  • colored lights
  • seeing a bunch of cars outside of a house b/c you know a family is celebrating
  • Silent Night
  • A Christmas Story
  • Amy Grant "Home for Christmas". I play it over and over and over....
  • Carolers--Oh, I heart carolers!
  • picking out the perfect gift
  • Brent's enthusiasm
  • kids anticipating Santa
  • helping a family in need
  • Jesus!!!

I know it is cliche to say He is the Reason for the Season, but it could not be more true. I hope all who read this will stop and remember why we celebrate. I know the holidays are hustle and bustle, but we need to be thankful. Pray together as a family tonight and read the Christmas story somewhere in the craziness. I hope all of you will have a joyous time! Love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info »