Tuesday, June 07, 2005

My New Commitments

I love to work out. I like to challenge myself physically. I would go to aerobics classes at my local gym and think to myself. "Wow, I can do this. I love it, I am going to do it anyway...I should learn to get paid to do it." So, off I went into the wild world of aerobics certifications. I got certified. I was ready to teach. Except for one thing. The commitment of teaching. It is just like a job. The members expect you to be there every week. They rely on you. So, being the free bird that I am, I decided to lower the commitment aspect to being a sub. Sounds great in theory and it is fun...no strings, no attachments, just a couple of times a month--sounds like I met my match. Oh, but wait. There is a catch. Money. I spend round abouts $600-$700 for all my certs. I sub a few times a month which equals about $45. You do the math. Not really paying off, right? Right. So, a new position came up at a new gym, well, a renovated gym...they needed teachers to teach my fave, kickboxing, and guess who decided to commit...yours truly. This way, I figure I will be making up for the cost of receiving my certs. Two days a week 5:30-6:30 I'll be teaching. I am happy about it, excited! I really do love to teach! I feel alive seeing people work out and enjoy themselves. I also love to make people sore--it is a sick sense of accomplishment. I just have this phobia of missing out on fun things at any given time...this is the otter in me. I am learning to deal with that! So, pray for me as I embark on my very own class...I want to have fun with it and I want people to have fun doing it!
Also, this is a new commitment based on Supersize Me (read previous blog). I have been fast food free for 10 days straight as well as free from sodas. Only in extreme situations (i.e. roadtrips, or at the mercy of others) will I eat it again. And for the record, I feel great.

2 comments:

lauren said...

What nights are you teaching? I need to get into that again!! I've been so bad this past month. I'm proud of you for giving up fast food and soda. I could live without fast food, except for Taco Bueno!

Nicki W. said...

If you saw Super Size Me, you would never touch it again. I do agree with the Bueno thing, though. My roommate in college (from Abilene) got me hooked on it. I am teaching TK at Doris Miller, you can get in with your card TTH...you should come, the group are never-beeners!