Saturday, April 30, 2005

My Social Life: Lost and Found

I never really knew how much I missed my social life. It was lost about a year and a half ago. Well, to be honest, probably 3 years ago. We had graduated from Baylor, I started working. Brent started a business. Then we got married. We were content being married and busy. Most of our college friends had moved away, and we were still in the phase where we kept up really well. Then we decided we needed to have other friends who lived close by, so we made a few new friends.. They moved away. Back the year and a half ago thing: Brent decided to go back to school for his Master's so he could work with the Baylor men's basketball team. That's where we lost the social life. What a ride! BUSY, BUSY, BUSY are the only words I can describe his life. My life, was busy by association. He worked crazy coaches hours, taught classes, worked at his business and somewhere in the shananagans had time to come home and spend some time with me. Don't get me wrong, I have friends. However, they are married. Being a third wheel is never a picnic, but being a third married wheel is just not happening. It's just so funny how much you rely on couple friends. I got used to work, working out, getting chores done and being excited to spend some sort of hour, second or minute with Brent. Which is all we did. Somewhere in the midst of it, we maintained contact with other humans at church...which was a blessing to me. About a month ago I broke down and cried to Brent, "I feel like we don't have any friends!" He laughed and said, "We have a ton of friends...we just have not been actively pursuing them." I thought that was funny. All this to say, Brent is finishing up his last week as the grad assistant with the team. I am sad to see this chapter of our lives closed, because it has been really fun and a tremendous opportunity for Brent. However, I am now getting to cook, spend evenings with Brent at normal hours, commit to our Lifegroup regularly and see old friends! We have been eating with people weekly and tonight we went to a baseball game with 3 other couple friends who we adore! I know this probably sounds so silly to all of you, but I feel like I found my social life! I am a people person as is, and I am just realizing how much fun it is to spend time with my husband and other people! I hope for all of you who we have not spent time with in awhile are not offended, we truly were in a world of our own for a while...now you will be afraid of me because I will act as though I am a stalker...calling you daily with dinner and date plans . Looks like I'm back.

4 comments:

elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lauren said...

I totally understand! We've recently had similar conversations. I think we're in that busy, busy, busy stage right now!

Sorry, I first wrote this under my sister's login, so I deleted it.

Nicki W. said...

L,
I am glad we are not the only ones. It feels so good to have time to do enjoyable things!

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Culinary schools north carolina Trend anti spyware 10 meridia 60 pill skin care and beauty Interior designer kanab Dallas texas skin care spa product laboratories bextra chongqed allegra ferofenedaine