Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Adventures of Frank and Beans

That's what we refer to the pugs as. On Sunday, I would gaze out the back door with tears streaming down my face at an empty yard. We left the gate open all night Saturday and all day Sunday in hopes that we would see our babies sitting on the deck when we would look out. It was such an agonizing feeling. I know I said it earlier, but I cannot remember the last time I felt so sad. But then, there was the rescue. The adventure was as follows:
  • 11:30 p.m.-Frankie and Emmitt escape at thru the open gate. No one took them out of the yard, although it is common in the 'hood.
  • 11:42 p.m.-Nicki has panic attack
  • 11:45 p.m.-Brent and Nicki jump in the truck with a flashlight to search.
  • 11:46 p.m.-Brent gets out because Nicki is in hysterics and decides to go on foot.
  • 12:00-4:00a.m.-The search is down every alley and street in greater north Waco. Not the best part of town to be. Many interesting folk to talk to.
  • 4:01 a.m.-Brent comes in and retires. Sad and upset.
  • 6:00 a.m.-Brent wakes up and shoots out of bed and runs out the door. Like a mad man on a mission.
  • 7:45 a.m.-Nicki supposed to sing on praise team for 2 services. She calls and leaves the worship leader a crazy message full of sobs and something about a "family crisis--I am sorry I cannot sing." Then, calls Corrie with the news. Gets Corrie upset (an avid dog lover herself) and she and Ryan trek over and roam the streets talking to neighbors.
  • 8:30 a.m-1:30 pm.- Make flyers and distribute all over north Waco while looking out for the pugs. I cry about 15 more times. I look like crap. We are discouraged and defeated.
  • 1:31 p.m.-8:00 p.m.Decide we need a nap and the rest of the day to mourn.
  • 8:30 p.m.- A sweet, sweet woman from SOUTH Waco calls and tells us she thinks she has our pugs! I scream! She said a man sold them to her in the Fiesta parking lot for $100 (how insulting). She takes them home and her husband tells her he saw the flyer. She brought them back to us.
  • 9:00-I cuddle with my babies and praise the Lord for His mercy!!!!

Oh my goodness! It has been a whirlwind of emotions to say the least. I have learned a couple of things thru this crisis:

1. People are kind. (with the exception of the one who sold them for dope-that is an assumption and probably wrong of me to assume). I cannot tell you how many people are still calling me, random people, telling me they saw the flyer and have their eyes and ears open!

2. Keep the darn tags on the darn dogs.

3. I have the BEST friends in the world. Calls, searching, making flyers and crying with me. You guys are dabomb. Frankie and Emmitt felt your prayers!

4. Keep hope alive. I was not hopeful. Brent and his parents were as usual, eternal optimists thru it all. They prayed and told uplifting stories and sure enough...we got them. So, if this ever happens to you--keep hoping!! Trust, me, if I lose my dogs in my neighborhood and get them back, (albeit, they were sold on the blackmarket) you can get yours back too!

5. Look at flyers so other people can be reunited with their little yodies.

So, the picture I posted was the sweet and assuring reminder that when I look out my window today, things are just as they should be.

12 comments:

lauren said...

That reminds me of the movie Homeward Bound. :) I bet that was a real bonding experience for them! God took such good care of you! This story makes me so happy!

Corrie said...

Yay for PUGS coming home! I'm glad you shared the happy ending with the Blogging world! Ryan is going to do a post of all the strange things we saw and heard while we scoured your hood in search of the pugs! SOOO happy those little yodies are HOME! We love them and missed them!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Nicki,

I SO know the exact feelings you were having. I blogged about it last month so you can read and see for yourself. I tried to be the eternal optimist, but negativity won out and I too, thought the dogs were gone for good. The only difference...I was home ALL alone...yikes! I'm so thankful God willed those little yodies home and if I would have read your entry sooner, I would have been praying right along with the other bloggers in our little "bloggerhood." I hope sometime I get to meet the Frank and Bean-sters!

Kimberly said...

What an adventure they had! Its wonderful that the woman who bought them had a good heart to call their real owners and give them back so willingly (I'm sure it was hard for her, because they are so cute!).
I'm so thankful they are back safe at your home! My dog ran away one time and when we found him at someone's house he didn't want to come back to mine because he was having way too much fun with the new owner's dogs. That about broke my heart just as much as when I didn't know where he was. But that's his personality for you, and he I guess he eventually figured it wasn't too bad living with us instead.
Love your story but hope you don't have to have another one like that again!

Nicki W. said...

Thanks everyone. My babies are so precious to me! I know you all feel the same about yours, fuzzy or not!

Shelly said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shelly said...

Wow! What a story! Thank God for such an honest woman.
I'm so happy that you have your babies back safe and sound:)

Melissa said...

I'm so glad that your adventure ended happily!! :)

Ryan said...

I know that look...it's the look of guilt. Our dogs have it all the time.
Again props to F&E on their street cred.

Nicki W. said...

ryan,
i would say that it is a look of shame indeed!

Anonymous said...

Nic,
I was so sad to hear about your boys being sold on the black market...and insulted for them that the man didn't try to charge more---$100 each, at least!!! Anywho, I have to say that you tell a great story...it totally sucked me in...I was almost in tears with you! Maybe one of these days you and Kel will convince me to start my own blog...don't hold out hope, though (just in this circumstance...please continue to hold out hope if your dogs ever show up on the black market again!!!)

Audrey T said...

Maybe Frankie and Emmitt SHOULD make a movie - it could be the thug version of Homeward Bound. Maybe "Crib-ward Bound"...