Monday, July 25, 2005

Jinja Hill Baptist Church

This is very common to see men holding hands. This picture is one of my favorites.
They loved the camera.
They all wanted a picture of their church. They were so proud!
Aren't they lovely??
The children posing for me
Where are the white people?

My Gracious, it is so difficult to put these things into words, but the words are fading into my memory, so I am going to try. Jinja Hill was the church we were at on Sunday morning. Pam, Steve and I were the "preachers". We were to give our testimonies, a sermon and songs. When we arrived to the church, it was humbling. The church was an oddly shaped octagon type building with no roof atop a hill. The only roof was a tin roof in the far end of the building that covered a small section, big enough for around 40 people to sit under and worship. When we arrived, it was a strange feeling for us, they stopped church and the children ran over to see what the "white people" might do. We sat on our bench and felt little eyes staring at us. At first, I felt mainly like a distraction, like a circus. However, once the music started, I felt at home. There was singing, and yes, my fellow Baptists, lots of dancing. It was spectacular. We gave our testimonies and I sang. Steve gave the sermon, I think it all went very well. Afterward, as an offering, a woman gave peanuts and eggs. How lovely is that? All they have to offer, they gave. It all seemed so Biblical. Somehow, I ended up with the peanuts (that leads into another story I will share later). After the service, we sat and visited with the church people. The children let me take pictures of them and wanted to see immediately following. It was wild. I played games with them and they educated me about their village. I loved them. One girl, Eva, I will never forget. Pam and I call her Billy Graham. She was 14 and possibly one of the wisest people I have ever met. I will never feel sorry for these people. Though they are mostly physically sick, they are rich and very well in spirit. This was my favorite day. It shall be forever embedded in my heart and mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pics and the stories! It looks likes y'all had an amazing experience. Can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Acne oral treatment live poker Flexicase pda phone